Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Party

Mission: A Whimsical Party with a Wimpy budget. I started this about 4 months ago. And with some garage sale finds, my busy little brain and some help from some creative genius' we pulled it off. So here are some tips and ideas I learned along the way...

Having a photographer was the best idea of the party. It freed me up to chat with my guests and watch Kylie on her special day. Sarah did a fantabulous job! You can see more of her work here.


























This is the present area. The teal night stand you may recall from my bedroom makeover and the frames hanging from the tree are of Kylie growing up. Because I had to duct tape them to the back of the frames I also covered the backs with coordinating scrapbook paper. So even when the wind blew they still looked pretty:)


The food was simple and full of color. Tip: fill the platters as full as possible so there is less re-stocking and a fuller tray always looks better.

My very talented mother made Kylie's skirt. Yes, it's true. It's way too cute. And we can't go anywhere in it without feeling a little bit like a celebrity.
A few posts back you will remember I made these party hats. So simple but the details, the details, THAT is what makes a party. Agree? good.

OK I really wanted the party to just explain itself. I wanted the kids just to be kids. No competitive games just plain old imagination. Side note: Kylie is a little VERY competitive, once she told me, and let me quote her, "loosing is not an option." So ok you get the picture. I really didn't want any competitive games. Okay back to imagination. I wanted whimsical. fun. free. play. So I made this balloon tent. I think she loved it:) yippee!! I also made some paddles to hit the balloons and some stilts out of cans. Whats a party without stilts?


My philosophy is: the bigger the party the simpler the cake (to keep my sanity). But I have to say it can be just this simple and look dang good! I obviously was going for a whimsical look and the cake really had that feel. It is a rice crispy cake (which equals NO plates, forks or MESS) love it. I just took a #3 tip and did swirlys all around it and it took me all of 20 min to complete and that my friends equals a Happy Me:) I painted some skinny dowels and added some poms and pennets to the little master piece and whala!!! Its so easy cheesy and beautiful.



We are so thankful for the wonderful friends who love and support Kylie! We love you!



The End...