Thursday, January 29, 2015

Summer Planning

I know we are in the middle of a snow storm but the girls keep asking how many days until Summer! So I have had Summer on my mind in this wintery weather. It reminded me I never blogged about our summer schedule. I am not a schedule person but I LOVED how productive we were and how much more fun we had because we had it planned out in a “schedule format”.

Camp Hilton was formed and we will forever call our Summers, Camp Hilton. I made a “command center” of sorts that kept the kids informed of their responsibilities and the fun that we would be having that afternoon IF they completed their responsibilities.

They each had to:
>>Read or be read too
>>Practice writing
>>Math Page (just a page out of a Costco book)
>>1 chore of their choice

The girls were super motivated to hop out of bed (and make their bedJ) and accomplish their tasks. I kept all their charts from each week and showed them at the end of the Summer how well they did! There is a sense of accomplishment when you can do something you don’t love 5 days a week for the whole summer.
SIDE NOTE: It actually came in super handy one day when Kylie was feeling down.  I pulled all these weeks worth of completed summer charts out and showed her what an amazing accomplishment that was.

Usually Monday was Water day, we got to scout out some amazing lakes and fun splash pads to play out each week. The kids LOVED this.
Tuesday we would organize a playdate, either at our home or at our lake. We still do this on Fridays.
Wednesday was Explore day! We would go to Henry Ford Museum or we even went to Sleeping Bear Dunes and once to Kalamazoo.
Thursday is Baking day, we still do this too. The girls (esp Reese) love to look through Pinterest or my cookbooks and pick things out to bake. They are becoming quite good and now after doing it so much I don’t have HUGE messes after baking with them.

Friday is another favorite. Craft and of course Family Movie Night.