Tuesday, June 30, 2020

As a new mama

As a new 23 year old mother, obviously, I was young and inexperienced but the one thing I had going for me was how excited I was to be a mother. For the past 14 years I have gravitated towards, sought out, and maybe (possibly) rented a home in the same neighborhood as a "Mother of the Year". Great mothers are rock stars to me. As a young mom,  this was the first time that I really dove head into something with my whole self. I read, read, read. Blog posts, books, magazines. When we would go to story time at the library you would find me grabbing any book that had a cute cover or catchy title about parenting. Or pouring over the parenting aisle at Barns and Noble. Meeting new moms at church or at the park, lake, on a run even. I would pick out those remarkable mamas and dive in with questions and awe at their super power. Recently realizing that I have been motherhood data collecting now for almost 15 years its been one of my most cherished gifts to my self and my children.

I find it interesting looking back on my life. I am so grateful for those early years. I had time to pour into books about parenting, blog posts about mothering and conversations about all things kids. I truly have raised my kids based on my research I did back then, and although I am still learning and adapting to each child and stage I rely heavily on the knowledge I learned at the start.

What a blessing it is to be a mother.